Live weather forecast of the Philippines:

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Uniquely Pinoy: Lingo

When I first came to Philippines, I found it easier to communicate with the Filipinos than I expected, even though I can't speak in the local dialect. This is because our body language and tonality speaks a thousand words in the Philippines! I realized that all I need were elastic facial muscles, nimble limbs, a powerful, melodious voice and I was all set and ready to tour this wonderful country! Here are some interesting discoveries I made:


Instead of using their arms or fingers, a lot of Filipinos point out a direction by pouting their mouths, or shifting their eyes towards the direction indicated.


Filipinos smile all the time! They smile when they praise or criticize, when they are embarrassed, or need help. Even when they apologize, they smile! After all, smiling doesn't cost much nor does it hurt anyone. So, SMILE!!! :)


Due to their conflict avoiding nature, instead of giving a definite "Yes" or "No", Filipinos will either lift their eyebrows or tend to use phrases like “siguro nga” (maybe), “sinabi mo e” (if you say so), “sisikapin ko” (I will try), “ewan” (I don’t know), “tingnan natin” (we’ll see) or “bahala na” (see how it goes).
All these actually just means ‘NO’!

It is considered rude to beckon someone using your index finger or by snapping your fingers.

Other vocal mannerisms would include offering an apology before asking a question, cucking to show annoyance, frustration or anger, using "Pssst-sst" to get attention (it is, however, rude to "psst" someone in a social function) and exclaiming "Ooo", which means "Yes".

No comments: